How to Navigate the Logistics of Long-Distance Moving
Moving is never a task anyone looks forward to—especially if the process is complicated by relocating across a far distance.
Green Wheels Moving & Storage is a moving company with many years of helping clients navigate long-distance moves, and we understand how challenging it can be to plan a long-distance move, especially if it’s your first relocation.
To make things easier for you, we’ve enlisted the help of our seasoned long-haul moving team to create the following guide that’ll help you navigate the logistics of long-distance moving and make your upcoming move as stress-free as possible.
Decide Which Long-Distance Moving Options Suite Your Objectives
The first step in navigating the process of a long-distance move is to scrutinize your household's unique situation.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- Do you have a busy schedule that would make finding time for packing and unpacking a nightmarish task?
- Would you prefer to pack specialty items yourself? Perhaps you’d like to leave this task to a licensed professional with plenty of previous experience.
- Do you own any clunky or heavy items that you can’t lift on your own?
Whatever the case, only you can decide on the level of service you’re most comfortable with, and an expert moving service should be able to adapt to meet your requirements as needed.
With that in mind, let’s take a look at the different types of moving services you can choose from:
Full-Service Long-Haul Movers
As the name suggests, full-service long-haul movers are the professionals you need when you want a hands-free move—you want all your bases covered by a certified moving company that offers a full suite of cross-country moving services tailored to your preferences.
Also known as “white-glove moving services,” a full-service mover is equipped with all the specialty packing materials, moving tools, equipment, and professional personnel needed to ensure the safe packing, transportation, unpacking, and assembly of all your household items.
A full-service state-to-state mover can take care of the following
- Furniture disassembly and reassembly
- Packing and unpacking
- Bulky and specialty item relocation services
- Long-distance transport
- Storage solutions
- ….and more
Partial Service Distance Movers
When a distance mover offers partial moving services, you can choose the moving services that work best for your circumstances.
This cost-effective option allows you to gain the professional expertise you need for items you can’t move by yourself without committing to investing in the more expensive option of a full-service move.
Choose partial service distance movers when you need help packing, unpacking, and moving items like:
- Pool tables
- Bulky furniture
- Basketball nets
- Recreational equipment
- Home spa equipment
- Medical equipment
- …and much more!
U-Pack Long Distance Moving
U-pack long-distance moving is the most cost-effective professional moving option. This option means that you pack up and prepare all your belongings, and the professionals are responsible for transport only.
U-pack moves are cheaper but only make sense when all your belongings arrive in the same excellent condition they were in before embarking on their long-distance journey. The packing materials used and how individual items are packed and loaded onto a moving truck can make a big difference in their safe arrival at your chosen destination.
For this reason, we recommend choosing the U-pack option when your move doesn’t include high-expense or fragile heirloom items that may be irreplaceable.
Another option is to ask your moving services provider for tips on packing these items and which packing materials are most appropriate to ensure their safe and successful transport.
Collect Recommendations for Cross-Country Moving Companies
There’s much to be said about a business with an excellent word-of-mouth reputation.
When choosing a licensed moving company, you’ll want to put your ear to the ground to learn more about their reputation within your local community.
To do this, we recommend the following:
- Researching long-haul moving companies online to look for reviews from previous customers.
- Checking that their licensing and insurance credentials are up-to-date and that they provide sufficient insurance coverage for accidents or lost or damaged items.
- Requesting referrals from trusted family, friends, and community members.
- Examining any professional affiliations the moving company may have, like the American Moving and Storage Association (AMSA).
We recommend creating a list of five different long-distance move companies to choose from. Once you have a list of moving companies you’re satisfied with, you can move on to the next step.
Gather Long Distance Moving Estimates
After you’ve completed your background research, you’re left with a list of about five companies to choose from. We recommend you request a long-distance moving estimate from each of these companies.
Be sure to include essential information in your request, including:
- Your current location
- The location of your destination
- Bulky items and their weight, if possible
- The type of moving services you require
- Home access challenges or requirements
- Any specialty moving services you require
Moving companies use this information to give you an accurate estimate of the cost of your out-of-state move. It’s essential to be as forthcoming as possible with the details to ensure you’re getting a transparent approximation of the costs associated with your move.
Find Long Distance Movers Who Align with Your Budget and Preferences
Now that you’ve had a chance to acquire estimates from up to five different moving agencies, it’s time to consider your options and make a decision.
We recommend choosing the mover with services and business practices that best align with your preferences and budget. Don’t be fooled into choosing the lowest-cost option if it doesn’t seem like the best fit for transporting your belongings safely.
If an offer seems too good to be true because of rock-bottom pricing upfront, we caution that you should be wary of hidden fees and additional charges that may appear on your final invoice.
What Do the Best Long Distance Moving Services Provide?
The best long-distance moving services in the industry provide clients with complete peace of mind throughout the moving process.
An industry-leading distance mover should also:
- Provide comprehensive written estimates.
- Be transparent about pricing and the services their pricing reflects.
- Maintain a fleet of moving trucks that are safe and well-equipped for distance travel.
- Use top-tier packing materials to protect your belongings.
- Maintain an inventory of advanced moving tools and equipment.
- Hand-select licensed moving professionals dedicated to providing a seamless moving experience.
- Provide the correct insurance coverage to cover your belongings in case of theft, damage, or loss.
Hire Your Next Long Distance Relocation Service with Complete Confidence
Now that you’ve taken the time to go over our recommendations, you’re ready to begin the process of hiring your next long-distance relocation provider with complete confidence. Use these steps to make navigating this challenging time as stress-free as possible.
Should you have any further questions, Green Wheels Moving & Storage is always here to provide the answers you need to make the best decisions about your next long-distance move. Call us at (866) 406-6837 to set up a risk-free consultation.